To College and Beyond! The ultimate college trip guide by Jazmyne

Jazmyne, Class of 2018, explains how to get the most out of a college visit and how her visits helped her pick the college she will attend in the fall.


        College trips are an essential part of your college decision making steps. You want to attend as many college trips as you can. I have been on a total of 13 college trips ranging from Historically Black Colleges & Universities, Predominately White Institutions, and regular universities.

        On typical college trips you are given a tour of the campus while your tour guide answers any questions you have. Be sure to have lots of questions so that you really get to know the place because you never know, it might end up being a school you are really interested in. This college could turn into your home away from home so it is only right you know everything there is to know. Ask questions about dorms, scholarships, admission requirements, doctors on campus, majors, meal plans, and etc. Be very sure to ask about majors so that you can see if the school has your intended major or something you would be interested in seeking a degree for. Every school that I’ve toured, I was more than sure to ask about “freshman only things.” By this I mean, things only freshman are/aren’t allowed to do. Talking about the size of the student body is important to do also. Some people prefer smaller universities while others may be interested in medium and larger sizes. The size of the school will give you a glimpse of class sizes and student to teacher ratios.  It is also great to try and talk to at least two different types of students on campus; freshman and upperclassmen. Talking to the freshman will give you a viewpoint of someone closer to you, someone who just recently started the whole college experience. Talking to the upperclassman will allow insight from someone that is not new to the campus or college life.

        Be sure to admire the college campuses also. Take a look at the buildings the styles of buildings, the grass, everything. Look around for the types of people you see, friendly, reserved, etc. The campus size is a great deciding factor when coming down to picking colleges.
 
       Some colleges that I have visited are but not limited to:

  • Tennessee State University
  • Missouri State University
  • Rust College
  • University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou)

       On these trips I learned a lot, every school is different and has something different to offer. One thing I did like about all of them were their campus environments. Not only was our tour guides very genuine, but the other students around campus were friendly and very welcoming. They weren’t standoffish or looking at us weird. The students and faculty around campus gave us great tips and advice for finishing high school, applying for college, getting into college, and living in college. A tip that stuck out to me was learning how to prioritize and have good time management because college in nothing like highschool.

In the fall of 2018 I will be attending Tennessee State University of Nashville,Tennessee. I will be going there to study Human Performance and Sports Sciences with a concentration in Exercise Science where I can later get my doctorates degree in Physical Therapy. I chose Tennessee State University because of all the schools I visited this was the one that stuck out the most to me. I have been down to the school twice now and both times I felt very welcomed. TSU also had the best campus tour in selling their school to highschool students. While touring, I felt like one of the students on campus already. If I had not of went on the college trip to TSU, I would not be attending the university. I wouldn’t have been able to see the college myself for what it really is. I am very thankful for college trips. I can’t wait to start my new journey in life while living and learning new experiences!


Finance U is funded by a grant from American Eagle Credit Union Foundation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grades...Are They Really That Important? by Justin

Guide to Success for Working a Part Time Job by Te'Lon

What High School is About