How to Choose a College Major by Kyajaa

Kyajaa, Class of 2018, shares how she chose her college major.

      In our lives, the common question asked is, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” As a kid, I couldn’t come up with an imaginative or realistic answer, so I would shrug to avoid the question. The path to finding my college major began in 7th grade. I know, what person finds their dream job that young? At the age of 13, I was introduced to Mechanical Engineering. I researched what Mechanical Engineers did, and I knew that wasn’t the path for me. I didn’t give up on engineering though, just the mechanics part of it.

     Fast forward to my junior year in high school, I was in Engineering class, an elective, and Mama Danzo, or Mrs. Danzo #2, assigned the class to research and complete a presentation on the engineering field of your choice. For my presentation, I chose Aerospace Engineering. Aerospace Engineering is the development, design, and manufacturing of aircraft and spacecraft. It is a combination of Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering. Aeronautical Engineering works with what’s inside of the Earth’s atmosphere and Astronautical Engineering works with what’s outside of the Earth’s atmosphere. At the time, Aerospace Engineering fascinated me because it was complex and intriguing.

     A few months later, Mama Danzo had us do another research assignment; this time she would pick the field for us. My field of study was Biomedical Engineering. Biomedical engineering is medical techniques applied to engineering for the creation of modified organisms. Biomedical Engineering is my degree of choice because I want to improve the lives of disabled people. The school I will attend to pursue this career is Xavier University in Louisiana.

     Although it took some time figuring out what I wanted to major in, I encourage you to research careers that you might not have originally thought out. This way, you can discover new options that could fit into who you are and what you want to be. It would be helpful if you talked to your teachers, peers, and upperclassmen to get an insight into how they know or knew what they’re doing for the rest of their life. If you can, get in contact with people in your field(s) of interest either through email or phone. Understand that there is no right or wrong way to picking a college major, you just have to know what you’re passionate about and what makes you happy.
Kyajaa and some of the other students in the Engineering Club visit a construction site as part of the ACE Mentors program that connects students with professionals in Architecture, Construction and Engineering.

Finance U is funded by a grant from American Eagle Credit Union Foundation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grades...Are They Really That Important? by Justin

Guide to Success for Working a Part Time Job by Te'Lon

What High School is About